First of I bought a 21" Troy Bilt squall 521 (junk) snowblower 3 months ago. The (Plastic) scraper blade wore out in less then 6-10 light snow falls. When the scraper wheres out the auger will begin to hit the cement and wear that down.

Eventually breaking the cheaply made probably imported from china auger. So I called the warranty phone number they tell me that I have to bring it to a service dealer for a warranty appraisal. So I haul piece of junk there only to be told that yes it's a bad design and yes he does see plenty of this problem he goes on to tell me that this is very common.

MTD who owns Troy Bilt will tell him that the repair is not covered. A day later I get the call that it's $60 + $8 shipping for a new auger and $45 per hr to repair it and not coverd. Just about $100 + to repair a 3 month old snow blower with a 2yr warranty that they don't honor.

Overall I was disappointed the performance in the first place. The single stage snow thrower left behind snow and tended to kick snow out the front and back of the blower. Had to go back with the shovel to scrape all of the left over snow it wouldn't pick up.

I even called and spoke with Bill at the warranty/service department of MTD he gave me the same song and dance were not going to fix it. I called a repair shop to see about repairing the Troy Bilt Squall 521 the guy at the shop said they refuse to work on any MTD equipment that it's all junk and a pain to work on parts are hard to find etc.

The guy at the shop said to cut my losses and buy a Snapper because they stand behind there equipment. Hopefully I have saved some people from making a $469 mistake like I did. Actually it will be $569 mistake since I am going to have to fix it.

Also the part is back ordered for 15 days guy at the store said it's a popular part and figured that MTD makes quite a mint on replacement parts. Whatever brand you buy make sure it's not affiliated with MTD in any way here are a few that I know of. Cub Cadet, Troy bilt, Yard Machine they are all made by MTD Do Not Buy.

Comments

Same issue with a Cub Cadet (MTD) self propelled walk behind mower.The shaft failed after 8 months.

The unit has a 3 year warranty and MTD is refusing to fix it. Says it is my fault.

My last mower lasted 10 years, this mower not even a year.Waste of $450, MTD tells me I have to speak to their legal department and litigate.

I HAVE A MTD 179CC 21" SINGLE STAGE SNOW BLOWER AND HAVE HAD TO WELD THE IMPELLER BAR 4 TIMES BROKE IN THE MIDDLE 2 TIMES ONCE EACH SIDE!AND THE TIN THAT HOLDS THE RUBBER PADDLES WHERE IT'S WELDED TO THE SHAFTA COUPLE OF TIMES!!!!!

MY TORO SINGLE STAGE SNOWBLOWER IS A MUCH BETTER MASCHINE ONLY I THOUGHT BUY THE MTD DONT HAVE TO MIX GAS AND OIL BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!I WISH I HAD MY MONEY BACK.

Manchester, New Hampshire, United States #586562

I bought a 26" Yardman (MTD) snow-thrower with a 208cc OHV engine (made in China by some mystery company for MTD).I have spent 3hrs or more repairing the piece of trash for every hour I've actually ran it.

Of course it's broke right now and we're in the middle of a 14" or better snow storm.

This time it's the ignition coil which of course no one has in stock.No matter what the salesperson tells you the engines are not a name brand and they are junk!

I wish I had done my homework before purchasing MTD 21" snow thrower 2 years ago.I just started having problems with carborater.

Luckly I can do stuff myself and this thing is a piece of ***. Engine and carb made in China. Scraper blade made of plastic and does not last. I thought MTD was a great company but like a lot of other US companies started source in China.

So their quality has gone down the crapper.Do your due diligance and buy something of better quality.

Could someone tell me what I can do my husband aired up the tires on thisYard MAchine snowblower and the plastic rim exploded.The first tire he did was fine and now the second as he was putting on the cap it exploded leaving him with 2 broken fingers and a broken thumb nail in several peices that the doctor in the ER had to sew back on.

Now he is in a cast in severe pain and my need surgery because of the severity of the brake.

Can someone tell me what to do please.Anna

I did a lot of research on snow blowers before I purchased one.All of you writing comments on here complaining about MTD was helpful.

I began to find that most brands are now made by MTD. I also found a lot of problems with MTD, mainly with their cheap China engines and drive train. I did not stop with what I read. I went to the small engine repair shops in my area and spoke with the mechanics.

When I asked what I should by, the first answer everyone gave was not to buy MTD. They said find something with a Briggs engine or other name brand. Then they showed me the long line of MTD (or other brands made by them) snow blowers that all had common problems with the engines or drive train. Sad thing was, most of the machines were less than 3 years old.

Needless to say, I did not buy an MTD product.

Take a look at Husqvarna, Honda, Toro, or even Snapper.I also found out that John Deere will no longer be making snow blowers after this year.

:grin I have two MTD products (lawn mower and snowblower) I have never experianced any of the problems mentioned in these complaints. Snow blower have for 3 years and mower for 8 years. Lawn mower starts on first pull everytime and snowblower always within 3 pulls or once on electric start.

Beware...do not buy MTD snowblowers.Took it out of the box ran for 20 minutes then quit.

Took it to a authorized dealer they tried to get me to upgrade to a different brand for addt.$$$ Menards would not take it back because we had put gas in it!

(Like we would have known that it was defective before putting gas in it??) best advice don't buy!Wasted $$ :(

I have a one month old mtd (not worth capitalizing)snow blower I cant use because the transfer gears to the augers have stripped.All from my first time using it with recently fallen snow.

Big Box Store wont take it back. Wish I'd known about the lack of warranty help before hand.

My mtd mower is a work horse though.*** hum........

We bought a Cub Cadet 4yrs ago and has worked fine until this year.When a shear pin breaks , it does so to protect the snowblower.

Except this machine , it took out the gear box and not just ours. The dealer said he had 2 of them last with the same problem.

Evidently, MTD is cheaping out and a shear will no longer protect your machine.We will make sure not to buy anything made by MTD again.